Dec 7, 2012

Calling a spade a spade

I have always been one to speak my mind. If I like it, I will say I like it. If I don't I will mention so. And if it seems way out of line to speak my mind, I will just keep quiet.

But not so surprisingly, I have always had people tell me I am doing the wrong thing. That, especially when it comes to matters of the heart, I should play hard to get. I should be coy. I should say no, but mean yes and so on. Not to say I didn't try. I mean, it does get tempting something when you see how loads of those who practice it have mastered it. That it works for them really well. But I could never really do it. It's not me. I'd end up being frustrated of the games and just speaking my mind.

Whether the result was in my favour or not, I didn't care. What mattered more to me was that I have been honest. That I have the burden off my head. And that the other person has decided AFTER knowing the truth. And they judged me for being straightforward, I could happily shrug and walk off.

I do like the chase. It builds excitement. It has mystery. But at times, you can get so lost in the chase that you miss the actual stop signs along the road.

Today, I came across this article posted on Facebook. About saying it like it is. About how playing hard to get can lead to assumptions, impositions and so much more. I agree.

Maybe you don't. Maybe hard to get is what works for you. That is good. Still, read the article. Another point of view always helps. Right?

http://feminspire.com/why-i-never-play-hard-to-get/

The article ends in these words:
"No, I don’t play hard to get. If I like you, you’ll know it. If I don’t like you, you’ll really know it. And if you decide to cross a line despite my big, hand-painted “No Trespassing” sign, we’ve got a problem."

My point of view? Play hard to get if it works for you, and if you can. It can be thrilling and totally exciting. But make sure that when needed, the Stop sign is big, loud and clear. And that the other person knows you mean a big fat NO.

No comments: