Feb 10, 2010

Uff!

It's tough to plan things. Mostly because when I plan, somehow it has to be jinxed. Plan a movie, no tickets. Plan meeting friends, they suddenly get busy. Plan to leave early, hey, there are artworks to be signed. There was a point when I had decided that I won't plan anymore and just go along with ad hoc decisions when they come up.

But that can't stick of course, cos that too is a plan. So plan I had to. This time it was planning W's bday. Madness describes it a little. Confusion completes what's left.

To start off, I needed a plan (obviously!). It had to be something possible since working days and Mumbai's far-away places make sure nothing can ever happen on time. So then I stuck to the old trick of 24 gifts for the 24th bday. There plan's settled. Now starts the trouble.

It's stupid to pile a bag with all 24 gifts in front of his face, all at once. If the plan was to be executed, it had to reach him in installments. But how? Only 4 days left. So Haem calls his 4 best friends and ropes them in. They can get some gifts, I get some and then I add in some little stuff to add to 24. Done.

Wrong.

I had to figure out what gifts, so that nothing is repeated. I had to number gifts so that we reach the figure. I had to tell people to courier some gifts to his office and then get his house address and use that as the sender's address so that he doesn't find out. Some I had bought earlier just like that. I had to rush out during office hours to shop for the rest of the gifts and then get late to office cos I had to shop for the little add-ons. And the having enough cash for everything part also.(I am still an underpaid writer. Anyone wish to offer me a freelance job? :P)

And then there was the job of planting some gifts at his home. So then I fixed a plan with his friend where I call him out and she goes and gives the bag to his mother (yes, she was in it too). But that didn't happen. So I had to call him out. And hide behind a tree while he exited his building (yes yes I did that!). And run up the stairs. And hand the bag to his mother and run back down. And ask him to stand at a spot where he can't spot me coming out of his building. And run back out to meet him. And of course avoid questions about being late, being tired, being secretive, etc etc.

Phew!

All over? Nope. There was also the calling a friend at his office to ask him to arrange for a bouquet and place it at his desk, without him knowing it. (Thank you Pathare!) There was the numbering of all presents and co-ordinating with the friends who were also adding to the 24, and then making sure it reaches 24.

Finally, it was over. Did something go wrong. Yes, a little. Can't do without that. But then, the main objective was fulfilled - of making him happy, surprised and giving him a birthday to remember. He was delighted today. And that's all I wanted.

Happy Birthday W.