Dec 26, 2009

The spirit

I like festivals. But as much as they have a religios relevance, I don't like that. I like festivals independent of religion, custom and rituals.

I believe every festival has a soul to it. It has an individuality and a personality, just like you and me. And that is what I like about each festival. Holi for example, is colourful and loud and gets easily drunk- carefree and oblivious to the world around. The kite festival on the other hand prefers to speak very little, and yet makes its presence felt through the burst of colours dotting the sky. Diwali for me, is loud, garish, fun-loving and exuberant. It is that nice, sweet aunty next door who loves flowers in her hair, and always makes good food for you.


Christmas. I love the Christmas personality- the Christmas spirit. For me, it is like this tiny fairy with transparent wings and tinkling anklets who goes around sprinkling magic dust on everyone. Yes, quite fantastic, but well, I actually feel that on Christmas. As much as it is a religious festival, for me it has hardly any religious significance. I just the love the way everything looks, the way people behave and all the cultural modes and symbols floating around that time of the year. The icy cool nip in the air, the red and green and white fluttering all around, the white lights twinkling like stars from every house. And cakes, and carols. It's just rhythmic, a festival of music and merriness. Everything in Christmas has a musical quality in it. From the Ho, ho, ho's, to the bells in your window, to the 'Merry Christmas' greetings.


I like Christmas. And what I like is I don't have to be Catholic to like it. I don't have to go to church to celebrate it. I can still put up a tree and decorate it. I can still walk around with a Santa hat and exchange presents. And it still makes me feel as much a part of it as anyone else. All I have to do to feel what they call the Christmas spirit is walk around and look at the simple decorations on people's windows- not the store or mall or street decorations, but the home ones.

And I can feel myself dancing to the rhythm of the festival.

2 comments:

babahall said...

Christmas this year - Nice weather, bit commercial tho!

Shriram said...

This year? It's happening for a last few years. and yes! I agree with every word penned down/typed out here. Well greeted, after a long time absense from this part of the world:)