Sep 1, 2009

I am a complex pigment

It's time for some narcissism! For all those who keep asking me what my name means, well, I decided- lets ask Google for its version.

HAEM

A complex red organic pigment containing iron and other atoms to which oxygen binds.
1. (Science: biochemistry) compounds of iron complexed in a porphyrin (tetrapyrrole) ring that differ in side chain composition. Haems are the prosthetic groups of cytochromes and are found in most oxygen carrier proteins.
2. (Science: prefix) haem-, eaning relating to blood.
Origin: g. Haima a ring like structure found in haemoglobin giving it its characteristic red colour.

With random definitions like these, no wonder I love my name!

P.S.: That is not the meaning my Momma told me :)

3 comments:

Vikas Chandra said...

wat did ur mom tell u?

Haem said...

he he... she told me its 'gold'. Actually spelt Hem, and a guy's name. Everything modified to make what it became- Haem, and a girl's name :)

mads said...

And you sure are complex, haem, pigment or not!